What do your child's febrile seizures look like?

Home Forums The Community What do your child's febrile seizures look like?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  ageorge 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

smbergeron
    Participant

Hi there everyone, I’m pretty new to this site but have already found it to be a huge comfort and support. I’m just curious about how other children’s febrile seizures look. For my little guy, they’ve never really looked like a conventional seizure. He twitched the first time and second time, which were in the same day, but he doesn’t really twitch anymore. He had one today while he was laying right beside me. No sign of a fever at all until I looked over and saw that he was seizing. His eyes didn’t roll back and he didn’t twitch, but he stopped breathing and became kind of catatonic. It lasted maybe a minute or a minute and a half and then he snapped out of it. It seems viral this time. But anyone who didn’t know he was having a seizure wouldn’t have noticed. Anyway, does anyone else have kids that have seizures that look like this?

marywells
    Participant

I’m sorry I can’t help. My daughter’s febrile seizure (she’s only had the one in march, no temps or seizures since) was pretty typical. Eyes rolling, limbs jerking and twitching and no breathing. I think what you are describing is an absent seizure, but they are not the typical febrile seizure. I would contact your doctor and let them know. Because its his second seizure (I’m not sure if you said he did or didn’t have a fever) they may want to do a neuro consult to make sure everything is okay.

smbergeron
    Participant

Thanks for your reply! Yes, he did have a fever when he seized yesterday. It shot up to 102 with no warning at all. He’s had an EEG done and that came back normal. His pediatrician hasn’t been worried since, but she suggested an MRI a long time ago and we declined because of the risk of general anesthesia. The seizures have always been typical febrile seizures in timing (at the onset of an illness and fever). I called his pediatrician yesterday anyway just to get some input. They do sound an awful lot like absent seizures, don’t they? Now its just a question of whether a febrile seizure doesn’t have to involve twitching!
    Thanks again for your reply!

marisa
    Participant

Hi there, I think my kid seized like yours. My 3 year old little one had his first seizure last june. He had fever, I gave him Ibuprofeno which always have controlled his fevers’temperature, until that time. He was sitting at the table, watching TV, and tells me he was cold i touched him and he felt fresh (i assumed it was the ibuprofeno working but was his body getting ready for a peak of fever), he finished his glass of milk and minutes later he banged his head against the table. He was unconscious, with open eyes, staring at nothing and did not blinked for several minutes. Almost inmediately his eyes turned red and his face dark gray. I don’t know if he stopped breathing or just kept it at the minimum level, I was too scared to calm down and notice. I carried him and heard him make some gutural noise, i heard also some cracking sound coming from somewhere under his neck. I put him down, facing up, closed his nose and blew one or two times in his mouth, then he coughed. His color came back to normal but he seemed still unconscious, still with eyes opened staring at nothing. I took him to ER, on the way he started to cry but continued staring and not moving, when we got there they inmediately gave him a shot of Antalgina (metamizol sodico), he reacted to the shot by crying. They asked him to point his mama, he first pointed to the nurse asking so she asked again, then he pointed to me. The doctor in charge said it was a febrile seizure and his expression completely changed to relax and left the room to attend other emergencies leaving the nurses help bring down the fever with warm water compresses.
    At the begining we were kind of shocked to hear each doctor and pediatrician say that, even if terrifying, these seizures are common and that they are indeed the number one pediatric emergency (at least in their hospital), we even had to pay the full bill because our insurance (which is the best plan available) would not cover febrile seizures as an emergency.
    The very next morning I call her equine therapy instructor and she tells me she fully understands because his son used to have them until he turned 4 years old. Then I called the school bus service and the lady tells me her daughter had them twice and told me it was the most scary thing she had witnessed. I tell you this because no one told me that febrile seizures were that common and how to handle them. The only 2 persons I called that morning had experienced the same more than once with their children.
    I was angry nobody ever mentioned a febrile seizure in my family and friends circle. I assume it’s because people is scared of the word “seizure” and keep it quiet. The neurologist told us the seizure started when he banged his head and finished when his color returned to normal (in total maybe 2 min). According to her, not moving and staring was a normal reaction after a seizure which in her words is a high energy demanding event, she compared it to a computer being reset, it shuts down and take some short time to fully re start.
    I have to say that, when I took him to the car I layed him on the back seat and told him I was quickly going upstairs to bring her baby sister too (because no one else was home). The next morning after the seizure, my son told me not to leave him alone in the car again. I then noticed he seemed unconsious but he really wasn’t so I told him “don’t worry, we were both scared yesterday, but now you are ok and the doctors taught me some ‘tricks’ to make you feel better”. The 2nd day after the seizure he told me “Mommy, the doctor was angry!”, one nurse asked him nicely several times to open his mouth and finally she used a louder voice and he obeyed, that was what he was remembering. So try to keep calm and talk to your kid all the time, take his hand, touch him because he might be able to hear and feel what’s happening.
    For the next 2 or 3 days he did not want to be alone anytime, not even in the bathroom. But then he was back to normal. After the episode he started to tell me I love you in a very sweet a tender way: approaching his face to mine, while holding it with both of his hands, finishing with a hug. I think such a scary moment brought us closer.

ageorge
    Participant

Hi Marisa,
    You are such a brave mom! So proud of you. My son is 1 year and 4 months and he got his febrile seizure on July 12. The shock of witnessing the incident was so horrible that I havent been able to get it out of my mind yet. Its been a very very horrifying sight. I just ran out with my baby, handed him over to my neighbour and was completely devestated that I couldnt be of any use/help there. Yes, later on when I heard that this is indeed a very common thing among kids I too felt angry that no one mentioned it me before.. But now I try to spread the word among young parents. I am dreading his next fever. I was accused by a lot of people for not taking the correct measures to bring down the fever or for not remaining calm. But I was just a hapless mommy then. glad I found this group and could hear your stories too! :)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘What do your child's febrile seizures look like?’ is closed to new replies.