Myoclonic jerks

Home Forums The Community Myoclonic jerks

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  lcorey22 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

marywells
    Participant

I posted a couple of months ago, here’s a bit of an update.

My daughter, now nearly 2.5 hasn’t had another febrile seizure since the one she had in March. She also hasn’t had a fever since then so it’s hard to say if she will or not. Her sleep is still severely disrupted and she still wakes several times during the night.

Recently, when I was talking to another mum who’s son has seizures (his are related to his traumatic brain injury) she asked if my daughter twitches in her sleep. She does but I always thought it was normal. I’ve watched her a couple of times now and from 5mins in her hands twitch and her face occasionally twitches. She also occasionally has a full body jerk. This continues pretty much all the way through her sleep and the whole body jerks often wake her up enough to change positions.

We had a gp visit and he said that they could very well be normal, but because of her previous febrile seizure and the fact that her sleep deteriorated after the seizure and still hasn’t gotten better it may be related. We have a referral to see a neurologist and I’m not sure how long that will take.

Does any one know anything about myoclonic jerks?

abegaileo
    Participant

Hi Mary

My son also jerks in his sleep, normally twitching of the arms and legs. Hi dr also told us this is normal but I honestly dont know about that. He has had 4 convulsions since the age of 1 and is 5 years old now. I really hope his convulsions are a thing of the past. Good luck with the neurologist appntment.

lcorey22
    Participant

My daughter has had 15+ febrile seizures from 11 months to 22 months. She just turned two and hasn’t had one since the beginning of August (last time she was sick/fever). Until recently, she has been a terrible sleeper. Not ever getting enough sleep at night or during the day. I’ve seen her try to fall asleep in the car (the only place she’s able to fall asleep on her own) and she jerks herself to sleep. She’s done this for as long as I can remember and it’s always struck me as odd.

I’ve always been convinced that my daughter’s poor sleep (quality and quantity) has been associated with the seizures. I hope it’s not a coincidence that she started sleeping through the night (most nights) two and a half months ago and also hasn’t had a seizure since then. Maybe her brain has changed and we are in the clear. Please let this be the case!

Best wishes to you!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.