FMLA for febrile seizures in the US

Home Forums The Community FMLA for febrile seizures in the US

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

kmehlbauer
    Participant

Good Evening.

A little background . Febrile seizures are not new in my family. They have been genetically passed from my father, to me and my brother, and now from myself to my children. My daughter now seems to have outgrown them (She’s 7 years old). However my son is 10 months old and has started having seizures as well.

I am now working full time and would like any information if febrile seizures would qualify for FMLA leave. Obviously, I (or my husband) would have to be home with my son and he would not be able to attend daycare unless he was fever/seizure free for 24 hours. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any help would be appreciative :-)

DrT

Thank you for your topic post, and I’m really sorry to hear about your son. But great to hear your daughter has outgrown them!

Now, as for FMLA, I am aware of other parents who have had their FMLA applications rejected but also others who have had it accepted. It is down to the doctor’s letter (stating the chronic / serious nature of the illness) and the employer’s policies (public sector is usually more lenient than private).

Employers here in the UK often allow their employees to take sick or ‘family’ days and so between my wife and I we can take about 20 days a year for when we are either sick or we can care for a sick child, regardless of their illness.

I’ll look into it more though and see if there is any US precedent.

Anonymous

I was told today by a union represent invite that yes – I can ask for FMLA protections to care for a sick child…FMLA would basically protect me from my employer giving be a bad evaluation due to a high number of absences… I.e. they cannot hold it against me that I am taking care of a sick child. Hope that helps. Best of luck.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.